Through Experienced Eyes: Issues of Aging
How does aging affect the lives of the elderly in America?
What issues do aging Americans face in our world today?
Interested in diseases of aging?
· Cardiovascular Diseases (stroke, heart attack, hypertension, etc.)
· Alzheimer’s Disease/Dementia
· Eye problems (cataracts, glaucoma, Macular Degeneration)
Interested in social/emotional/psychological issues?
· Changing role (or lack of role) within family and society
· Death and Dying
· Loss of spouse
Interested in mobility?
· Driving/accident proneness/reaction time
· Ambulation (walking)
· Use of/dependence on assistance or assistive devices
Interested in financial issues?
· Retirement funds/planning/necessity of working past retirement age
· Challenges of living on a fixed income
· Paying for prescription drugs/medical care
· Estate planning/funeral costs
· Vulnerability to ‘scam artists’/fraud
Interested in navigating programs?
· Social Security
· Prescription drug plans
Interested in housing/caretaking?
· Quality/cost of extended care facilities/assisted living facilities
· Home health care
· Elder abuse/neglect
Interested in impact of increased longevity/increasing number of seniors on society?
· Elderly supporting their own children/grandchildren in poor economy
· Impact on social programs/entitlement programs
· Impact on healthcare system
Interested in legal issues?
· Power of attorney
· Living wills